Friday, October 9, 2009

Pt 6 An orphans grief

I have brought my master to ruin.

For the past several days we have wandered together across the grassy plains of Mulgore. My master has said little. Yesterday when we hunted and slaughterd a kodo, he showed me how to peel the hide and prepare and cure the meat for eating. Other than that he has been quiet and it has made me nervous and scared.

Today, he seems to have confined himself to sitting on a rock and muttering something to the wind. All I can seem to do is sit in the nearby dirt and poke at insects with a stick.

I feel so foolish, and responsible for what happened. It all happened so quickly, I ran into the pavilion looking for my masters travel bags. Everyone had piled their belongings in the back of the room. I thought our travel bags would be obvious from everyone elses, they are made from the hide of a dragon my master killed. When I did find and opened what I thought were his bags, inside were nothing but dirty clothes, a severed head and some loose gold coins. It was then that a hissing, nasty troll grabbed me and brought me to Garrosh.

How could I make such a stupid mistake. Everything that my master has fought for and accomplished, I destroyed in an instant. It seems that nothing I do makes him happy. My mother and father must be ashamed of me.

"Master, I am so sorry for what I have done." I say under my breath so he can't hear. "I wish I was worthy of serving you."

The wind whistles in the grass. Off in the distance I can hear the cry of a plainstrider. A lonely, hopeless feeling overcomes me, and I begin to quietly cry.

"Meekha..." my master says in a deep tone "You could not be more worthy. In all of Azeroth I am certain that there are no other gruntlings who have done their masters more honor than you have done for me. If I learned to serve my elders as well as you have served me... this world would be a much better place."

The wind howls once again and the tears begin to fall like rain from my face. Shivers wash across my body as I wrap myself around the massive leg of my master.

Sobbing, I say to him "Master, the elders are wrong about you. You have not lost your balance."

"Yes Meekha, I think I have. In my fervor to become the beast, I have forgotten how to be the master of nature."

With tears staining my dirty face I look up into his eyes. In them I see the anger he has always wore proudly replaced by sorrow. It is a sight that hurts me to my soul.

"Master, you will find it again. You can remember things that you once knew." I say eagerly

"Meekha, you are an orphan, but you at least had parents who lived and died honorably, they are heroes of the Horde. In these things you can at least find comfort. As for me... My mother died when I was a calf of an illness brought by the first humans who came to this land. Meanwhile, my father was a painter, he painted banners and shields for the warriors that went to war. He did not know how, or even want to raise a son. So, at a young age I became a druid. Hamuul was the only father I ever really knew."

As my Master told me these things, a shiny glimmer of light across the plains caught my eye. As I stared in the distance I could see the shape of a rider, in armor, tearing across the valley. It was odd because the form did not glide like a kodo rider. Instead, it bounced like the jousters in the Argent Tournament.

"Master, what is that?" I say as I point across the plain.

He raises his eyes to peer across the valley. Soon, a whole host of shining, armored riders come into view. Riding in tight formation, leaving a cloud of dust in their wake.

"Assassins, murderers!! Alliance scum come to kill our Chieftan!" my master bellows as he rises from the grass.

In one graceful motion he grabs, and throws me onto his shoulders. Then, as we surge forward I feel his flesh begin to change. He falls forward onto his hands and shifts into a savannah cat. I cling for my life to his tawny fur as we begin to sprint through the grass towards the city of Thunder Bluff.

We must raise the alarm!!