Monday, October 26, 2009

pt 13 The Titans Anvil

I have never been so exhausted in my entire life. Honestly, I do not know how I survived the last few days of hell I have been through.

Before me lies the broken body of the monster they call General Vezax. He looks like a cross between a giant and some sort of sea creature. Certainly not something that is natural to this world.

From what our Blood elf leader has told us, he is the last horror to haunt these halls.

"Fan out everyone, I want you to search this room for any treasure." Squish yells to the reminants of our mercenary raiding party.

Let me tell you a little about Squish. She is a Blood Elf Noble of some sort, rumored to be related to Prince Kael'thas Sunstrider himself. These days she is hiding out and doing work for Garrosh in Northrend. She leads a mercenary outfit calling itself Bloodlust.

I've never asked her, but from what I hear she adopted an orcish name that sounds like something pleasant and nasty in whatever language the Blood Elves speak. Sadly, she doesn't realize the sorry implications of her name, and no one is brave enough to tell her otherwise. So, the joke kind of goes on behind her back.

"Ay Boss!! Dere is anoder passage down ere... I tink I can ear something." one of the orc warriors calls out.

The collective of the half dozen souls left alive stop their searching and make their way to the broken passageway. There before us is a strange room with a woman floating about the floor. She looks to be orcish.

"I sense a great power in the room, also a great evil" one of the other Blood Elves, a priest named Azzara, says.

"He he ha! Less go down dere boss, maybe dere is big fat treasure." the eager Orc warrior says.

I collapse on the floor, trying to catch my breath from the previous fight.

"No, we are done. It took us a week to get this far, and most of the outfit is dead or dying. Besides, Calmfury looks like the fight has been knocked out of him" Squish says.

I snort at Squish with disapproval, but in truth, I am relieved. This expedition has been frought with peril along the way. It has been my job to turn to a bear and fight each of the monsters we have encountered in here, while others attack it from behind or at range. Naturally, in this task I have been beat to all hell.

"Everyone, finish gathering treasure. Afterwards we will tend to the dead and wounded. I hope we can make it out of here tonight, and tommorrow we will divide the treasure." Squish calls out again to everyone. This time her words are met with a rousing cheer from the survivors.

"CALMFURY!!!!!!"

A ghostly voice cries out in what I first think is in the room, then I realize is in my head.

"CALMFURY!!! WHY DO YOU RUN!!!"

Despite my fatigue, I rise up and look back into the mysterious room. I can see the orcish woman floating in the air, her arm is raised and she is pointing at me.

I snort as I feel the anger rise in me again, giving strength to my limbs.

"CALMFURY WHERE IS DIOGENES!?!?!"

I stand frozen in place, puzzled and bewildered at what she just said to me. Who is Diogenes?

Suddenly, I feel a piercing jab in my mind. Before me the room melts away and grows dark. I roar with terror, but to no avail, it seems I am alone in this place. Then, light pierces the horizon and I see a grassy field before me. It looks as though I am in Mulgore.

In the grass, I see a human running for all he is worth. On his face is not the smug, arrogant expression I am used to, instead he looks terrified.

In the distance I hear a howl!!

The human looks as though his clothes are ripped and tattered, and he is not wearing any shoes.

Then, from over a grassy knoll I see a massive wolf running across the grasslands. He is black and ferocious looking with glaring yellow eyes and a foaming maw filled with rows of sharp teeth.

Suddenly, the man sees me and turns to run directly at me. Meanwhile, the wolf quickly closes in on him.

What am I supposed to do? I don't care about any human, I certainly won't do a thing to help him. If anything I'll enjoy watching him be torn apart by the beast.

The human falls before my feet and screams at me in his awful language. I feel the rage well up in me and in an instant I turn to a feral lion. How dare this waste of a life step foot in our lands. It was pigs like him that brought this war to us, it was him that tried to kill my beloved chieftan, it was him that killed my mother!!

With a furious roar I pounce on the human. My claws tear into his soft, pink flesh so easily. He screams in agony while I joyfully disembowel him on the spot.

As I revel in the smell of his blood and fear, the human looks up at me and manages to say something.

"You were supposed to save us from him"

Silence once again falls on the plains of Mulgore. The wolf is gone, and all that is left is me, the shattered remains of the human, and the howling wind.

"Naw boss ees dead. I git a share of ees treasure. Har har har!"

"Quiet, he is not dead, I can see his eyes opening" I recognise the voice of Azzara.

My eyes slowly open and I can see that I am on the back of a wagon filled with looted weapons, gold, silver and artifacts.

"Ahh goot. Hee can walk from ere. Im tired of pullin ees gutz around."

I sit up and see several of the mercenaries pulling the wagon I am on. It seems we are somewhere near the entranceway to this Titan city.

"Calmfury, lay down and rest." Squish says from the back of her Hawkstrider. "We are going to need you soon for our assault on Icecrown. By tonight we will be at the Argent Tournament grounds for a celebration."

All I can manage to say is no, before I once again fall unconscience.