Tuesday, October 6, 2009

pt 2 A Gruntlings tale

My Master sat motionless, with an angry look on his face. It was nothing new, he always looked angry. But, today I know he was in a foul mood. We had been stalking some beast in a city of trolls in the deep jungles when the summons came. A Stormcrow, my master calls them, had descended from the sky and said that we were to return immediately to Thunderbluff, that Arch Druid Hamuul Runetotem needed to speak with him at once. My master was very angry, and refused to go for quite some time. He did not like the elders, and was at odds with the entire order of druids, or so I have come to suspect. But, by late the next day we were sitting in the hot afternoon sun of Mulgore, outside the tent of the great druid on elder rise.

I came into the service of my master several months ago. My name is Meekha, and I am an orphan of the great war. Both my Mother and Father were warriors in the Warsong clan. I am told they died honorable deaths against an army of demons. I cannot remember them at all but, I am proud of them. Last summer, the mighty Thrall, our beloved warchief, sent me and a group of other gruntlings, to a terrible place in the frozen north called Icecrown. It was there that I was bound to serve my master, a druid named Calmfury. I was scared of him at first, he is very large. But, my life with him has been good. He even bought me a horse to ride, and taught me how to paint on paper. If I ever have a husband someday I hope he is as strong a warrior as Calmfury.

It's always windy atop the bluffs in the Tauren city. But, unlike in Orgrimmar, the air is clean. The Taurens always smell like leather and smoke to me, so does their city. Perhaps its because all their tents are make from the hides of great kodos.

"Calmfury Stonehoof, the Arch Druid will see you now." I am startled by the voice of the one of the assistants of the Arch Druid.

My Master gives a snort and rises from his dirt patch. In his eyes is that familiar stare I have seen so many times when he faces down someone he regards as his enemy. It is a terrible gaze.

"Thank you Shael" he replies in his deep soothing voice. A sharp contrast to the mood I know he is in.

"Master I will stay here if you need me" I say in my small voice. Frankly, I don't know if he hears me because he seldom responds. I want so much to please him.

Into the tent he goes, and in the warm autumn evening I sit. The last time we were here there was alot of yelling. They spoke in their language so I dont know what they were saying, but my master was furious for days afterward. Honestly, I am a bit scared. I wonder if my mother was ever scared.

Across the way, on the same bluff, there sits a small tent. Inside I can see an old tauren woman surrounded by several large guards. She sits in her tent eating some meat and staring at me. I recall that my master says she is an elder of his people. Yet, he never bows to or greets her like he does the other elders. I don't know why, but it seems like everyone else doesn't like her.

"Meekha, come here!" the deep voice of my master calls from inside the tent.

I waste no time entering the vast lodge, before me I see sitting on the floor the venerable Arch Druid, and my master stands above him with is fists balled in anger and fire in his eyes. Oh, what has happened?!?

"Calmfury, sit down. We have much more to talk about" the Arch Druid says in orcish, perhaps to sooth the panicked look on my face.

My master replies loudly in his language something that sounds like a curse, and he stomps on what seems to be a smoldering wooden pipe on the ground. That is the pipe they smoke when they talk about important things.

All at once, I am scooped up in the arms of the Arch Druid's assistant. She smiles at me as a struggle in her arms "It's okay child. I have an important task for you"

"I cannot, I will not defy my master, he needs me!!" I scream and she carries me outside the tent.

"I have a task for you little Meekha, one which is very important for your master." She says with a loving and motherly look on her face. "Run across the bridge there. Go to Cairne Bloodhoof's tent and tell him that the Arch druid needs him immediately, tell him that Calmfury is here"

Shael sets me back down on the ground and gives me a big reassuring smile. I cannot help but wonder if my mother was as beautiful and strong as her.

"Go on child, time is of the essence!"

It takes me no time at all to make my way across the massive rope bridge connecting the bluffs. Tears well up in my eyes as I feel the ever blowing wind that haunts this place. They are tears of worry, of fear, and of rage. I love my master, if he was to die or leave me I would have no place to go, no one to take care of me. I would be an orphan all over again.

The rough wooden planks hurt my bare feet as I sprint through the building on the next bluff. As I emerge on the other side, I see the great fire and the common area where to tauren come to address their High Chieftan. I remember once running behind my master as he fought a group of men that had come to kill the Chieftan. It was the first time I had ever see a battle and the soldiers of our sworn enemy, the Alliance. They died in terrible ways that day and their screams of pain reminded me of the pigs of stonetusk farm outside of Orgrimmmar.

As if by some fate I see the Chieftan Cairne emerge from his tent surrounded by his honor guard. He is so old, yet somehow like a king, like Thrall. I can barely speak to him as I sprint to his feet.

"Chief Cairne, please help my master!! Please help him, dont hurt him!!" I scream in as I fall to the ground before his mighty hooves.

"Child, who is your master? Is he in danger?" Cairne's booming voice hurts my ears.

"Chieftan, my master is Calmfury the Druid, he is talking to the Arch Druid again and he is very angry." I try to sound like a strong Orc warrior but,I cannot. I am too afraid.

To my shock and horror Cairne gives a chuckle "Oh little one, your master is not in danger. Why have you come here?"

"Shael has sent me to get you!!"

"Ahhh, I see. Well, you stay here and enjoy some meat with Zangen my herald. I will talk to your master" Cairne says with a smirk.

Stay here? I cant stay, my master needs me. But, I cannot defy the word of Cairne Bloodhoof! Oh, what misery!!

"Still yourself child, have some freshly roasted kodo meat." Zangen says to me as he takes my hand and leads me to the great fire.