Friday, October 9, 2009

pt 5 Facing the hatred

Highlord Trion Fordring yells "My congratulations, champions. Through trials both planned and unexpected, you have triumphed!"

The crowd roars with jubilation. Tauren, Orcs, all the collected races of the Horde leap from their seats, chanting the name Calmfury!! I stand in the center of the ring filled with a pride and joy that I have not felt in very long time. At my feet, the broken body of the mysterious Black knight, agent of the Lich king, felled in honorable combat. Above me, in the rafters of the coliseum, I can see my beloved Warchief Thrall, beside him I can see the Overlord of the Warsong Offensive, Garrosh Hellscream. Both look upon my gore laden form and nod in approval. Once again, I have proven my worth to the Horde.

As I turn in triumph I can see the scowling, hideous face of Varian Wrynn, King of Stormwind. Even from here, standing in blood and gore, I can smell his wretched human flesh. His eyes glare at me balefully, and I can not help but spit on the ground in defiance of him. I wish so much I could just leap into the rafters and finish him where he stands.

Trion yells to me over the cheers "Calmfury, you may leave the coliseum now. We have to prepare for the next challenge."

Trion Fordring is likely the only human I can respect. He still has all the physically repulsive traits the their kind carries. But, he exudes a kind of power, a presence, his words inspire like no other, save for of course Overlord Garrosh. His leadership of the Argent Crusade has been brilliant, and forming the Argent Tournament to weed out the weak and bring forth the best warriors to fight Arthas is genius. If we send a massive army in to siege Icecrown citadel, Arthas will simply use the fallen corpses of the weak to attack us.

Sadly, Trions fatal flaw is in the ridiculous notion that the Horde and Alliance can set aside their "differences" and work together to defeat the scourge. We don't need the Alliance to do what we have been born to do. I believe that the tournament will prove once and for all that the Horde reigns supreme.

I give one last glance to my warchief, as I shift out of my powerful bear form. My exit from the coliseum is slow as I revel in the fading glory.

I step into the cold, night wind of Northrend, utterly spent and fulfilled. Fighting always gives me a powerful hunger and I am eager to join the celebration feast. Surely, after my victory the spoils will be glorious.

"Calmfury, come smoke with me and let us talk about what is good in life" the voice of Hamuul Runetotem cuts through me like the arctic wind. Standing alone in the frigid night, wrapped in a kodo hide, I can see him, a frail old bull in a place he does not belong.

I snort at him "What are you doing here... Elder Hamuul? Shouldn't you be chasing animals in Mulgore?"

He physically recoils at my rudeness, and stammers a bit "Calmfury..." the frost from his hot breath has time to dissipate before he finishes his sentence "I have come a long way to see you. Charibdys said you had some difficulty finding the crystals I sent you to get."

"No doubt she told you all about it." I snap back

"No, actually, she didn't want to talk about what happened. I was hoping you'd tell me. She was pretty upset." Hamuul replies.

I can see him shivering in the cold air. Deep inside I take some joy in his suffering. Foolish old bull!

"Ha ha, not as upset as she'll be when I see her again. I can promise you that."

The old elder looks at me for a long time before shaking his head and looking at the frozen ground. "Calmfury, I watched you in the arena tonight, you are quite ferocious. The feral disciplne seems to come naturally to you. I have never seen one who has mastered it like you have."

I am startled by his words. He has never called me masterful before. I can't help but think back to the days in the fields of Mulgore when he would patiently instruct me in the ways of the druid. It seems like a lifetime ago.

Elder Hamuul looks up at me once again. "Did you collect the yellow crystals as I have asked?"

"Of course I have, I will have them brought... Meekha, where are you!!"

Out of a nearby stone hallway the little gruntling runs to me. "Bring me the leather sack full of crystals, it is in the travel bag" I command

"Yes Master!" she exclaims eagerly "I'll be right back!"

As the little orc runs off, Hamuul says to me in a whisper "Calmfury, it has been over a moon since I have sent you on this errand. Why did you not bring me the crystals sooner?"

His question grates on me, and I feel a flash of anger well up in me. "I have been busy!! I have other duties besides running your foolish errands!!"

The old Elder seems to have enough of my rudeness and he bellows back at me. "Foolish!?! Do you even know what these crystals are used for?!?"

I stare at him for a long moment, feeling the anger in me burning like a hot coal. "I am not the idiot you think I am Hamuul. They are used by the caretakers of those who slumber in the Emerald Dream. Why I had to get them for you is the only mystery to me, well that, and why you sent your nursemaid to guide me along!"

Hamull roars back at me. "Well, if your so wise to our ways young bull, then you would realize why we sent you to get them. You'd figure out that we want you to go into the Emerald Dream! Perhaps there you will find the Balance you have so easily forgotten!!" His deep voice echoing in the frosty, mountain air.

A hot rush of embarassment and anger washes over me. I see all around us the forms of people huddled in the night, trying to keep warm. Knowing that they have been stirred by our conversation, knowing that they have all heard what he just said.

The silence is long. I stand there staring at him, hatred and rage brewing in my heart. I want to rip him from limb to limb and throw is body onto the nearby glacier, to remain frozen for all eternity.

"AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!! Master!!!" a shrill cry pierces the night. All my rage, frustration and resentment is instantly replaced by fear. Meekha!!

My legs turn to rubber as I tear through the snow towards her scream. With fluid ease I shift into my fastest form, the savannah cat, and sprint across the tournament grounds. So many things are a menace here in the frozen north. Worst of all is the hungering undead that stalk the night. My mind races with the possibilities, my muscles tense, ready for a fight to save my little Meekha.

As I come around the coliseum I can see a commotion in the nearby Sunreaver Pavilion. This is the place where the Horde congregate and find shelter from the arctic winds. It is where my vistory feast was to take place tonight. It is also the place where I left my bags.

Another scream from within the pavilion adds additional panic to my already racing heart. I leap through the air and into the doorway, knocking over a lithe Blood elf who was unlucky enough to be walking through the entranceway at the wrong time.

Inside I see a large gathering of orc warriors lounging about the room eating and laughing. In the center of the room, I see Garrosh Hellscream standing over the prone body of my little Meekha.

"You think you can get away with thievery little one?!? I'll make an example out of you" Garrosh roars at my helpless Gruntling.

I watch in horror as the massive warrior picks up his axe. The assembled revelers are obviously amused by this event, and eagerly await its inevitable, bloody conclusion.

I shift in an instant, and feel my powerful tauren legs wobble beneath me in terror. "Garrosh!! No!!" I roar.

The room goes silent. All eyes turn to me, including those of the mighty Garrosh Hellscream.

"At last, it is our champion Calmfury. We have been waiting for you to join us. Let me finish this business and we can celebrate together." he says with an evil grin.

I stride forward though the crowd, kicking aside several orcs lounging on the floor.

"Garrosh!! Leave my gruntling be, she is on an errand for me!" I realize too late that I spoke a forceful command to the Overlord of the Warsong Offensive.

Garrosh shoots me a fierce look and bares his tusks at me in anger. "Well, your gruntling is a thief, we caught her in the act. The punishment is death!!"

"Master, I was not stealing anything, I swear!! I opened the wrong bag looking for your crystals." Meekha screams in anguish.

A weedy little orc next to me laughs "Not only is she a thief, shes a liar!! Kill her!!"

Without even thinking, I plant my hoof into the face of the unsuspecting orc, producing a sickening crunch as one of his prized tusks flies from his now bleeding mouth.

This time I do not hold back my commanding tone on purpose. "Do not lay a hand on her Garrosh!! She is innocent!"

A tense silence falls across the room. Garrosh pulls himself up to his full height. I see his brown knuckles go white as they squeeze the handle of his axe.

"I am Garrosh Hellscream, Overlord of the Warsong offensive, I decide who is innocent here, and I will mete out justice as I see fit... Perhaps it is fitting for the master to pay for the crimes of his thieving servant.. with his own life!" Garrosh says through snarling lips. The crowd roars in agreement with his words. Clearly they have not seen enough blood for one night. "I will rip your body to pieces tauren, and I will hang you and your slave from the rafters with your own entrails!!"

I struggle to call the power of nature to aid me. I cannot defeat the mighty Garrosh, but if I could just remember the spell to wrap him in roots, perhaps Meekah and I could get away. My mind races to find the Balance again.

Garrosh hefts his axe onto his shoulder and slowly begins walking towards me. I can see the burning hatred in his eyes, I know his intention. I have insulted him before his assembled warriors, and for this I will pay with my life.

"Garrosh!!"

The commanding voice of Thrall booms across the pavilion. All eyes turn to the doorway and to the presence of our Warchief.

"I am the only one that decides who lives or dies and who is innocent! Leave Calmfury and his gruntling alone."

Never were uttered words so sweet to my ears. Meekha springs to her feet and runs to my side. "Master I am so sorry... I wasn't stealing anything, I swear to you!!"

Garrosh stands motionless before me. I am easily within axe swing of him. But he stays his hand. "A true warchief would see justice done, and not allow weaklings to question their superiors!!"

The rage suddenly rises in me, and I wonder for a moment if I could stand in a fight with Garrosh.

"No Garrosh, a true warchief knows when to be merciful. I gifted this gruntling to Calmfury myself. She is no thief... her parents were heroes! Once again, I am disappointed in you." Thrall says forcefully. The impact of his words shakes the throng of warriors in the hall. The only sound is the howling wind.

Garrosh glares at me for a long moment with pure hatred painted across his face. "You helped me once in Nagrand, Calmfury, Guardian of Cenarius... Now, I owe you nothing." he utters under his breath.

With a bellowing roar, he embeds his axe in the wooden floor at my feet. "Get out of my pavilion tauren!!" he yells.

Without hesitating, I turn and scoop up Meekha and head for the doorway, pausing only to grab my travel bags. Thrall gives me a reassuring look as I quickly walk past him into the cold and dark night.

Outside the pavilion, standing like a persistant spectre, there awaits Hamuul.

"Please... come back to Mulgore with me Calmfury." he says in a whisper.

I stand there before him, in the blowing snow, wondering how this night of joyous victory was so easily turned into anguish.

"Go back to Thunderbluff Calmfury, do not worry about Garrosh, I will deal with him. His memory only lasts as long as his anger." I turn to see Thrall standing behind me.

"Yes my warchief." I reply sorrowfully.