Wednesday, October 7, 2009

pt 4 Charibdys, the soft voice

The Tanaris desert is insufferable. An endless ocean of sand, dust, and the dried bones of any unfortunate beast that ends up there. The sun beats down upon my painfully dry skin and my eyes are shut against the torrent of this environment.

My name is Charibdys, I am a druid of the ancient order. Even though I am a master of nature and balance, I am unable to find comfort in this place. It's as if both Elune and the Earthmother have abandoned its reaches. Yes, even though I am Tauren, I revere the moon goddess of the Night Elves, but that is another story.

Yesterday I was beckoned by a storm crow to come to this place to meet another druid I have come to know by the name of Calmfury. I only know that he is on a secret errand for Arch Druid Hamuul.

Several moons ago I was asked by the Elder to watch Calmfury. To follow and accompany him, and to report his activities. I hate having to be a spy, but I suspect that the Elders have some important task for him. No, correct that, I know they do, and I am at the heart of it. Calmfury is unlike any other druid I have met, he is unbalanced. At his core is some sort of rage or resentment that I don't understand. Frankly, I dont know how he came so far in the order. Few are disciplned enough to follow the feral path of the druid. But, Calmfury has embraced it with all of his soul.

In the distance I begin to see dark shape in the blowing sand storm. I can tell by its loaping movement that is it a tauren on the back of a massive raptor, it is Calmfury for sure. As I rise from the sands my beautiful white frostwolf mount rises with me. Sarib his her name and she is my companion on this trip. The poor girl is miserable in this heat, but she is too loyal and hearty to complain.

The monsterous shape comes to a sliding stop in the sands before me. I feel uneasy as I am surveyed by him. But, I know this is his way, even though we have gone on countless adventures together he will still analyze me as if I am some sort of threat.

"It is me Calmfury... I was told to meet you here." I manage to yell over the howling winds.

"I know who you are Charibdys, but what I dont know is why you would have to accompany me on such a mindless errand."

"As I said I was told to meet you."

He continues to stare at me like I am some sort of mirage that will soon go away.

"Let us go then. Keep up because I won't wait for you" he finally says.

I mount quickly and we tear off through the whirling sandstorm. His raptor is fast and poor Sarib does her best to keep up. We ride through the remainder of the day, crossing the seemingly endless dunes. Then at near dusk we come across the walls of the great barrier that marks the edge of the Un goro crater. Beyond lies a dense primordial jungle filled with ancient beasts. A bizarre haven in this strange land that has defied the logic of the wisest of scholars, it should not exist.

In the looming darkness we descend the small trails that lead down into the crater floor. Instantly, the smell of humid air, rotting vegetation, and a tinge of sulphur assaults my nose. As we near the bottom the air becomes thick with humidity. Off in the distance a scream pierces the evening. Some massive beast in the deep jungle no doubt.

"We will camp here for the night. Tommorrow we go in search of the crystals I need." Calmfury says commandingly.

"Crystals?" I reply "what crystals?"

Calmfury hops off the back of his raptor and sets the beast free to hunt for its meal. No doubt the creature once lived here in its youth.

"Calmfury, I asked you a question!"

The belligerant bull just goes about his business setting up a camp and ignoring me. No doubt he is not happy with my presence here. I hop off the back of Sarib and lead her to the bubbling pool of water nearby. She laps greedily at the spring.

"What kind of fool would ride a wolf into the desert?" Calmfury says with a sneer.

"The kind that would seek companionship with you I guess." I respond under my breath.

He said he is after crystals here. I know of only one type of crystals and what they are used for here in Un goro. They were harvested to near depletion some years back by blacksmiths for their tempering quality. Now, the unwanted mineral growths spawn in diverse places across the crater manifesting various colors. The yellow ones are used sparingly by druids for one purpose, to induce the transition into the Emerald Dream by druids seeking to unveil its mysteries.

"Calmfury, do you know what the crystals here are used for?"

"No, why should I care? The elders need them for something."

I ponder this development as I watch him build a fire. The night continues to draw on, and is made darker still by our position at the bottom of this crater. At one time I had excellent night vision. Now, I can hardly see a thing.

Something brushes across my leg and I look down to see a strange mouse like creature. It seems playful and friendly enough so I sit down to observe it. A species I had never seen or even heard of before.

"Calmfury, have you ever seen this animal before?"

Without looking up he snorts at me "Of course I have, there's nothing new in this jungle."

I can't help but shake my head at him. He's so disconnected with nature, with the earthmother. Maybe it would be best if he was kicked out of the order and allowed to just lose himself in the fight with the Alliance.

"Calmfury, aren't you interested in the creatures that live in this place?"

"No, they are like everything else. Our lives are a perfect reflection of the Tanaris desert, just dust and bones" he responds sarcastically.

"What? Are you stupid or something? What about the balance of nature? What about the Earthmother you claim to love so much?"

Calmfury looks up at me with a hateful stare. He drops his camp bag and raises his arms to the sky. Then, a searing bolt of light pierces the darkness. It focuses on the small creature at my feet and incinerates it in a blast. "There's your balance. Just dust and bones like I said"

"You arrogant bastard!! Your no better than the Alliance soldiers you hate so much. You just take and destroy without thinking!!"

Calmfury shutters at my comment. For a long moment he stares at me with murder in his eyes. A growl rising in his throat.

"What?!? You gonna kill me now? You gonna kill anyone, Taurens too, that dare criticize your hypocracy!?!"

My taunt is too much for him and in an instant he turns to a lion. Before I can act, he leaps in the air towards me. My first reaction is to create a typhoon of water that blasts him back away from me. His body hits hard against the side of the crater. As he recovers, I begin to call on the nearby roots to immobilize him. He sprints towards me faster than I thought he could move. As he pounces through the air my summons is heard and massive vines wrap around his body, stopping his assault.

"Whats the matter Calmfury? Lose control of your temper?"

With a frothing growl he responds"No, I thought perhaps the raptors would like some fresh meat".

His intention is clear, and the murderous intent is in his eyes. I have to end this. I begin casting another spell.

"Your rage will be your undoing Calmfury. You need to be a little more calm and a little less furious"

With that my spell finishes, and my power to force animals into hibernation takes hold of him.

"Sleep it off!! Good night young Tauren!"