Monday, December 28, 2009

pt 30 The assault begins...

How glorious it all is, the mighty army of the Argent Crusade as it makes its way through the horror that is Icecrown. Before us lies the imposing Icecrown Citadel. A vast and hideous black fortress atop a frozen mountain, its spires reaching high into the sky like black claws scratching the heavens.

This army is small, but it is the best that the combined might of the Alliance and the Horde has to offer. At its head stands the indomitable Trion Fordring, one of the finest humans I have ever met and the only person who could have conceived and built this unstoppable army. In truth, I wish my ability to lead my tiny warband was as good as his ability to inspire this army.

My name is Lady Annora Sunstrider... and I am a paladin of the light. I was inspired to become a leader by my great uncle Prince Kael'thas Sunstrider. He was forced to lead my people, the Sin'dorei, when his father was killed in a battle with Arthas. It was much later in Outland that I was forced to kill my uncle because of his foolish plans to summon a great demon lord of the Burning Legion. After that time, I went into hiding and changed my name to Squish.

My reasons are my own for picking such a foolish sounding name. Sometimes I worry that it has undermined my authority and standing within the Horde. From what I gather Squish in the Orcish language means soft. Honestly, even knowing that, I kind of like its implications, it puts the other warlords who work for Garrosh off their guard.

A signal is given, and the column comes to a stop at the foot of the grand stairs that lead up to the Citadel. The siege equipment is being brought up for the assault.

I watch as Trion spurs his warhorse to the side of the column, in his hand he holds aloft the mighty sword Ashbringer, as if to strike fear in the enemies that watch him from above, and to inspire the crusaders he leads to this fight.

"Rise up Argent Crusaders!! The hour of justice has come!!" Trion cries out.

The assembled army lets out a mighty cry. I feel the pride and inspiration at being here in this moment of glory.

The siege train moves forward up the stairs to begin battering down the gates of Icecrown. Overhead I hear the chilling screams of gargoyles who have been harassing the crusade ever since we began our march. A few well placed spells and arrows are enough to keep them at bay.

"Lady Squish!!" A rider calls out as he brings his charger to a halt before us. "You are commanded to take your warband up to the westernmost heights of the Citadel."

The rider points to a series of balconies high above us "Up there where those Argent Crusade banners have been hung. You are to be part of a expeditionary force into the upper reaches."

"On whose orders are these commands given?" I shout over the din of battle around us.

"By order of Lady Sylvanas Windrunner. You are to meet her up there" the courier shouts back.

I am intrigued. An expeditionary force into the upper reaches? Perhaps a premptive strike against Arthas himself?

"Bloodlust!!" I cry "take to the skies!!"

At my command the two score members of my mercenary unit launch into the air on the backs of their wyverns, drakes and other assorted flying mounts.

Today we either charge to a hideous death, or to timeless glory as a hero of Azeroth.