Monday, December 14, 2009

pt 25 Betrayed by pride

It's been over a thousand years since I last walked the fields, forests and mountains of Kalimdor. So much of the world has changed. Demons, orcs and other strange foreigners have come to our lands. The only thing that has remained roughly the same are my people the Night Elves.

"Ah, the venerable and wise Sylios. I am delighted to see you once again." the graceful and beautiful Priestess Tyrande Whisperwind says to me as she enters the hall where I am staying.

From what I understand she is leading the Kaldorei while Malfurion continues to wage war in the Emerald Dream. The lovely priestess of Elune sits at my table and takes some of the fruit that had been brought to me.

I stand and bow gracefully to her, in the fashion of the old ways. I wonder if she remembers the formal greeting of our forefathers.

"Sylios, I know you are very tired from your long journey, but is there any word from Malfurion?"

I feel a bit a anger and disgust as I realize that she does not remember our ways, though I am careful not to show it. As I sit down I can't help but shift uncomfortably for a moment in my chair, unsure of how to answer her.

"Well Tyrande, the war in the dream is complicated. Ysera and the Green Dragons are still searching for Malfurion as they battle the growing nightmare. But, we still don't know exactly where he is or what is causing the nightmare." my cautious explanation is interrupted by a sentinel entering the room. "From what we can gather my lady, Malfurion is battling the nightmare as well, but at the side of Cenarius himself."

The sentinel speaks "Mistress Tyrande, the Tauren druid has been found. Shall we bring it here?"

Tyrande looks displeased. "Sentinel Avaria, you will not refer to the Tauren as "it". Despite what Fandral says the Tauren are sentient creatures and worthy of respect. Even if they fight for the Horde." Tyrande sighs. "Yes, please bring the Tauren to me."

The sentinel bows gracefully as she ducks back out of the room.

"So, Sylios tell me about your tribulations in Winterspring." Tyrande says as she bites into a fresh apple.

I can't help but fidget nervously. Honestly, I don't know where to start or what to say.

"Well, Mistress" I reply "It's all so uneventful and trivial. I'm afraid my story would only bore you to tears."

Tyrande's beautiful face suddenly becomes hard. "Try me... In particular I would like to know how you were able rid yourself of the one called Calmfury."

Her hard words and her forceful tone make me angry. She may be the leader of our people but I am an elder, an ancient of the old times when the Kaldorei were respectful of one another regardless of their station, a time before these foreigners came along. Besides, I said nothing about Calmfury, how does she know?!? Despite my rage, I try hard not to grimace at her.

"My Lady, pardon me but I'm not sure what your talking about. Didn't your people tell you that I got lost and ended up in Winterspring by mistake? Things have changed alot in the long years I have been asleep" I say cautiously.

Tyrande suddenly softens her glare and sits back. A soft, strange light radiates off of her as she looks down at her half eaten apple.

"Elder Sylios, let me be honest with you." she says softly, still looking at her apple. "We are trying to track what we believe is a necromancer of untold power. He has used some sort of unnatural abiliy to possess the body of several people, including you. We know that he left Moonglade in your body and went to Winterspring, in fact we were searching hard for you. Anyway, this necromancer carries a disease called the Curse of the Worgen. If it is allowed to manifest, he may be infectious to others. We need to find him and kill him before that occurs."

It is all clear to me now. Somehow he stole my body and left me in limbo for weeks on end. Then the young tauren, Redtalon, he must have been a previous victim. My fury rises in me like a hot fountain. This wretched beast must be found and killed before he does this to anyone else... Then I remember, the tauren warrior.

Suddenly, the doors to the hall come open and a group of sentinels enter, carrying a filthy tauren woman. She is covered in tattered rages and barely seems cognisant. I recognize her stupor as that of the afteraffects of waking from the Emerald Dream.

Behind the sentinels walks an arrogant looking Night Elf with a permenant scowl on his face. I recognize him immmediately as Fandrel Staghelm, an old friend from times long past. We fought in Silithus together in the war of the shifting sands. A smile creeps across my face as I rise to greet him.

"Fandral, it is a pleasure to see you once again." I say politely as I bow to him in the traditional fashion

With a motion he interrupts me. "Sylios, save the pleasantries for later, we have important business to attend to. What happened to Calmfury?!" His dismissive tone makes me angry, this time I do nothing to hide my displeasure as my rage continues to grow.

"They would not let me through!!" the tauren suddenly screams. Her dirty face twisitng into a mask of frustration and despair. "Ysera refused to guide me through the dream. She said the nightmare engulfs all corners... Malfurion is lost to us!"

Fandral grabs the tauren by her horn and looks her square in the face. "You wretch!! If you couldn't go through how did Calmfury do it?!"

"Fandral!!" Tyrande yells. "Let me handle this, do not treat her is such a manner!!" she grabs him forcibly on the shoulder.

No one notices me as I stumble to the corner of the room. My body feels hot and my chest feels tight. Something is wrong with me.

"Calmfury did not use the dream..." the tauren says with a stammer. "he never used the dream, he has some sort of power, something I don't understand."

The occupants of the room jump in startlement as I scream out in primal fury. All eyes turn to me as I feel my bones begin to crack and my muscles start to stretch into unnatural shapes.

Sudden recognition sweeps across Fandral face as he yells. "It is too late!! He has the curse!! Kill him before it spreads to us!!"

Everyone in the room stands in horror as they witness my hideous transformation. Tears run down my cheeks as I feel an overpowering urge to tear everyone apart. It's like a powerful beast, much stronger than Calmfury ever was, taking me over and dominating my mind. I fall to my knees as my last bit off willpower trys to stave off the demon inside me.

"Fandral!!" I scream in a glutteral and sickening cry "Calmfury has possessed a Tauren.. left him in Winterspr....."

Everything fades to black as I watch the sentinels descend on me with their blades in hand.