Thursday, December 24, 2009

pt 28 The reckoning

"Many of you have experienced a betrayal of trust. Yet you perservere, as we all must. In these times, no one is a stranger to the virtue of tenacity. In the face of depair and hatred, we continue to stand true to our beliefs and fight on. There can be no doubt as to your tenacity... but there are other virtues to consider."

I have taken up a seat in the makeshift Chapel of the Light in the Argent Pavilion at the Tournament grounds in Icecrown. Before us stands Argent Confessor Paletress. She is giving aa sermon to a group of Alliance and Horde warriors who are preparing for their march on Icecrown Citadel. This seems like to best place to be inconspicuous as I prepare for my grisly task. Outside the pavilion I can hear the hustle and bustle of soldiers preparing for war.

"Look across the aisle to those you call enemy. Despite the hatred that separated you, there are qualities to respect in your opponent. Their prowess should be acknowledged. Respect your opponent on the field, whether he be your brother or your sworn enemy. No matter where your beliefs truly lie, such respect is acknowledging a connection... and in acknowledging those connections, you are closer to the Light."

The Light... In all my years I have never come to understand this force that serves the saintly and the wretched zealot alike. I have known of powerful paladins like Trion, who seem to serve good. I have also met the mysterious Naruu, the source of the Light. Then, I have met fools that use the light for their own selfish ends like that paladin I killed in Thunderbluff. Then of course I have also met the sinister and wretched who use the light for evil deeds like the Dark Iron Dwarves. I just don't understand how this Light can be a tool of pure goodness. It is not balance.

"By feeling and understanding compassion in enemy and ally alike, you reaffirm your connection with the world. Acting on these tenets, these virtues, help make the world a place we all can appreciate. A world of honor and justice."

Honor and justice... important precepts. Clearly the basis of civilization. How can we believe in them when we have leaders like Varian Wrynn and Garrosh Hellscream? Today, I seek to change all that.

"... In the darkness that surrounds us all, the Light is needed more than ever. I'll be behind the confessional screen if anyone wishes to speak with me.."

One by one the congregation stands, Human and Orc, Troll and Dranaei. Some form a line at the confessional screen, others shuffle out of the chapel to prepare for the coming siege of Icecrown.

I sit for a cold and lonely moment. In facing death, all manner of weakness and doubt tends to creep into your mind. As the last of the warriors finish their confessions, I stand. My legs are tembling beneath me. Then, Paletress steps out from behind the screen and looks at me inquisitively.

"Tauren, do you want to confess anything? You seem to have a heavy weight on your soul. Any worries or doubts you have I will happily soothe.." she says to me with a smile.

I can't help but look at the zealot with a scowl on my face.

"Your Light cannot help me this day Paletress." I softly reply to her.

Once again she smiles at me. "The Light helps all who seek righteousness Tauren. Let me try to help you."

Her words remind me of the noble inspiration that Trion instills. Without saying a word I slowly walk behind her confessional screen. She steps in with me and looks at me expectantly.

"Well since you think that your light can help me I will tell you what troubles me." I pause for a moment to collect my thoughts, wondering why I am taking part in this foolishness. "I have come to the Argent Tournament grounds to murder Garrosh Hellscream. He killed my adopted daughter and her blood cries out for vengence."

Paletress looks at me with a horrified stare.

"As a druid I have learned and embraced the way of balance in all things. This war that Garrosh and your wretched King are taking us into is wrong, and I seek to stop it or die trying."

The priestess shakes her head. "Druid, you are mistaken. Killing Garrosh will only drive turmoil into the ranks of your people. It may even divide you. It is this divide that Varian will strike at and take advantage of. If you do this you will be the one bringing us to war."

Remarkably the anger does not rise in me as it once would at her words. Instead I am frustrated and confused.

"This is not the time to seek retribution Tauren. If Garrosh killed your daughter then justice must be done, but not now. Can't you see that the Horde and Alliance march together to rid the world of Arthas, who threatens to destroy us all. Your daughter would want a world that is rid of injustice."

"Your words Paletress..." I say with a sneer "are like snowflakes on a hot forge. Destiny has brought me here, overcoming obstacles that are unfathomable to you. Destiny will guide my hand this afternoon."

I stand up with renewed vigor and turn to leave the Chapel. Behind me Paletress stands and watches me go with a frown on her face.

As I step outside into the cold air I look about and see the Argent Crusade gathering for their march. Hundreds of souls from all the races of Azeroth have assembled in glorious order.

Then, I see them. Garrosh stands at the side of Thrall, nearby stands King Varian Wyrnn. Between them stands Trion Fordring. Around them are assembled their royal guards, and a woman I recognize from my days in Dalaran, the mage Jaina Proudmore.

All the threads of fate and balance have come to this point... If this is destiny then I can kill Garrosh and Varian at the same time. Everyone will see. The world will be shaken to its foundation.

"Tauren, don't do this" Paletress says from behind me.

Strength that I have never known surges through my body.

"Do not try to stop me human, or you will be next" I say to her over my shoulder.

"MEEKHA YOU WILL BE AVENGED THIS DAY!!!" I scream at the top of my lungs as I spring forward and shift into lion form.

All eyes turn to me as I sprint across the expanse towards my enemies. Everyone is so stunned that not even the royal guards react to my charge.

Suddenly, roots burst from the ground and catch me in their throny embrace. As I struggle to break their grasp a hammer hits me hard on the head. Then I am assaulted on all sides by Orc warriors. They seemed to be waiting for me!!

I roar with rage and frustration. However, instead of swords, axes and spears piercing my flesh, the mob surrounding me grabs me from all sides, holding me prone. I shift to bear form to escape, but they hold me fast. I was so close.

"What is the meaning of this!" Trion says as he walks up to the dog pile that holds me down.

From the assembled crowd steps a lithe Blood elf in the thick armor of a paladin.

"My Lord Fordring, please excuse our friend... he is not in his right mind and we have come to collect him before he hurts himself." the elf says with a smile.

That elf I immediately recognize as Squish. That vengeful bitch somehow knew of my plan and stopped me... but how did she know it was me?

Thrall and Garrosh walk over to survey the commotion.

"Lady Annora!! Why are you not getting your warband prepared for Icecrown Citadel" Garrosh exclaims. "Didn't you get my letter?"

"Of course I did Overlord, and we are ready as promised." Squish replies with a bow.

I continue in vain to struggle against my captors. Tears roll out of my eyes at the knowledge that righteous vengence has been robbed of me. Poor Meekha, there will be no rest for her soul.

Then I see her... a tall and graceful tauren women kneels before my face. It is Charibdys!! I should have known, she somehow found me, she lead them here to betray me!!

"Calm yourself" she says

My anger and frustration are too much to bear, but they give me new strength and I continue to struggle.

"Diogenes!!" Charibdys exclaims "calm yourself!!"

The utterance of my human name strikes through me like a nail. The shock forces me to lose control over my mastery of shapeshifting, I change back to tauren and my captors finally get a good hold on me.

Garrosh, Thrall and Trion turn back to their business of assembling the crusade. Meanwhile Squish joins Charibdys in front of my face.

"Ahh, here we have the mighty Calmfury. My what a cunning disguise you have. I would have never known it was you if you didn't reveal yourself like a moron." Squish says sarcastically.

"You vengeful elfin bitch!!" I spit on the ground. "How dare you stop me!! I was so close to getting vengence and stopping this entire war. You had no right!!"

"Oh but Calmfury, what in the world would you want to hurt our leaders for?"

"For my Meekha, he killed me daughter!!" I scream

"Calmfury!" Charibdys shouts in my face as she grabs me by my horn "Meekha is alive, Garrosh never killed her."

I am stunned. All my anger, all my rage, all my frustration melts away in an instant. Those words, I could never have imagined to be uttered.

"Alive... you are a liar!" I manage to say over my grief.

"No my dear Calmfury, she is alive" Squish says with a sort of twisted delight. "and if you help me in my assault on Icecrown Citadel, I will bring you to her."

Tears roll from my eyes like they never have before. I have no words to describe this feeling in my heart. It is like pain and relief all at the same time. I lay there in the snow for a long moment trying to come to grips.

"Vorack!" Squish exclaims to one of her warband. "I want you to fetch Darqyn, tell him we need a portal opened to Dalaran at once." the Forsaken scout nods as he turns to find the warbands mage.

Once again Squish turns to me. "So, what say you Calmfury, will you pledge yourelf to my cause?"

I look into her sneering elfin face for a moment. "It seems I have no choice." I manage to say with contempt.

"Good" Squish replies as she stands up. "and this time there will be no leaving. Your in my service for life."