Tuesday, November 10, 2009

pt 21 Three's company

No matter how long I lay in the snow I can't feel the cold, at least not in the way that I remember feeling it.

It's been a few days since I left the wretched furbolgs and set out into the wilds of the snowy mountains. I don't know what I am supposed to find here, all I can really remember is that I hate someone by the name of Garrosh.

Everything seems so strange to me now. It was hard to hunt for my food at first because somehow I was used to hunting by scent, now I can't smell a thing. Though it seems like I can see things alot clearer, especially at night.

Today, I managed to kill a flying scaly creature and have been feasting on its flesh off and on all day. The rest of the time I have spent lying on my back in the snow and basking in the warmth of the sun.

"Are you still laying here you lazy idiot?" the booming voice of my tauren companion says to me as he steps into my precious sunlight.

Deep down inside I can't help but despise this tauren who calls himself Red Talon.

"Oh, its you again. Where is that whiny elfling Sylios?" I say with a sneer.

As much as I may despise their presence I can honestly say I think I would be dead now if it weren't for my two companions. Despite themselves, they have been helping me remember things.

The lumbering tauren shuffles through the deep snow. His ungainly race doesn't seem to have the knack for snow walking. Probably something to do with their hoofs.

"Sylios is around. I think he's up on a hill looking for a landmark or something." Red Talon says.

I can't help but laugh to myself. That stuffy elf is determined to get us out of this wilderness. As for me, I am quite happy here, and he isn't going anywhere without me.

My stomach begins to gurgle a bit and I feel a cramp coming on. Quickly, I rise from the snow and begin scrounging for my makeshift bag. My fingers begin to ache and I feel feverish as I tear at the sinew string to get it open. Reaching in and feeling around, I find the cold ceramic container that holds my precious cure. A moment later I pull the cork and begin greedily drinking the fluid inside. As quickly as the symptoms came they disappear, and a warm feeling of strength flows into my limbs.

"That was our last jar. How many of those have you put away today?" Sylios says as he strides confidently across the snow.

"There is plenty more of them to be had, we'll just kill a few more of those white furbolgs. They carry lots of them." I reply.

The Night Elf sneers at me contemptuously.

"So, if memory serves me correctly there is a place called Kel'Theril near here. There may be someone there that can help us." he says.

Once again, I lay on my back in the snow.

"Perhaps, but we aren't going. We're gonna stay right here." I say with a smile.

"What!!" Sylios yells "You ignorant fool!! We can't stay here. You said that once you have rested a bit we would find someone to help us! I want my body back!!"

"Yeah!" Red Talon snorts "Hey, what about me? I don't have a body to go back to. This idiot all but destroyed mine!!"

Sylios sneers at the young tauren.

"Well, that can't be helped now can it. It's not my fault. But, you need to get out of my body before you do something to wreck it!!" Sylios pauses for a moment "Calmfury, are you listening to me?!?"

I am not of course, I have been listening to this bickering for the past several days. No, I have no plans to give up this body, not until I figure out what I need to do. It has something to do with this Garrosh and another person... but I can't remember the second name.

Suddenly, a shot rings out across the snowy valley. I shift into a lion and disappear into hiding. Soon, I see a form moving across the icy fields below us. It appears to be a wolf, and it is chasing a white furbolg.

"Hey Calmfury look, it is a hunter of some sort." Red Talon says as he points farther up the valley.

Sure enough, I see an odd looking figure following the wolf through the snow. My curiosity gets the best of me, and I begin to creep down the snowy hillside towards the mysterious figure.

"Calmfury, you be careful. Don't go and get us killed you moron!!" Sylios shouts from behind me.

As I come around a stand of trees in the valley I see the hunter standing above its fallen prey. She appears to be an exotically beautiful female with deep blue skin and very strange curving horns jutting from her head. In one hand she is holding an ornate rifle, and with the other she is pulling a string of beads off the body of the furbolg.

"Hey, it's a Draenei woman. What's she doing out here?" Red Talon says from behind me.

I think I remember now, the Draenai were of group of bizarre travelers that came from the same world that the Orcs came from.

Suddenly, the hunters wolf starts to growl menacingly as he slowly moves towards me.

"What is it?" the huntress says as she raises her rifle in my direction.

I stand perfectly still, confident that my skill at hiding will protect me. Then it occurs to me that I can understand the language of this creature.

I watch her reach into her pack and pull out a strange tube, she strikes it on the butt of her rifle, and it ignites into a brilliant flare. She then throws it high into the air towards me. As the searing torch lands in the snow near me, I see a startled look of recognition wash across the hunters face. She raises her rifle and points it directly at me.

We stand perfectly still for a moment staring at one another.

"Druid!!" she breaks the silence. "Why are you stalking me?!?" she says in an elegant, rolling voice.

Once again my curiosity gets the best of me, I shift out of cat form. It takes me a moment to remember, but I think I can speak her language.

"Uhhh, I not sorry for hiding you from" I say with a stutter, not even sure I said anything right.

The Draenei looks puzzled for a moment. But, she doesn't let her guard down. Meanwhile, her canine companion stands faithfully at her side.

"Are you stupid or something?!?" she says sarcastically "Don't you know how to speak common?"

Her rudeness makes me angry and I feel rage welling inside me.

"What is she saying Calmfury?" Sylios says from behind me.

I ignore his question for the moment as I try desperately to remember how to speak her language.

"Uh, we are eager for help you. We don't think where to go" I manage to say.

The huntress throws up her hands in frustration, and then looks at me with a scowl.

"Ugh!! Alright you idiot, I'll help you find Starfall village. But only if you promise to stay out of my way!!" she says with a growl.

"Calmfury, what did she say!!" Sylios says in exasperation.

Once again I ignore the whiny elf and move cautiously towards the Draenei huntress. She turns and starts trudging her way through the snow as I follow. I pause only long enough to pick up the three ceramic vials that the dead furbolg was carrying.

We quietly walk for quite some time up the valley, to a place where I had not yet explored. Finally, as the sun nears the horizon we come to a forlorn little village at the base of a hill.

"Alright, you should find some shelter here for the time being" she says.

"Calmfury, ask her if she knows the way to Moonglade" Sylios says.

I can't help but hold some strange regard for the graceful Draenei. She seems to be as tough as nails but she still has some compassion for those in need.

"Uhh.. me Calmfury name. Wut be your name please" I say with a smile.

She stares at me for a moment with a contemptuous glare on her face.

"Well, Calmfury.. Idiots like you should stay out of the wilds or your gonna get yourself killed. There's all sorts of beasts and such lurking about, not to mention the Horde like to skin simpletons like you alive."

With that, she turns around and strides off into the snowy wilderness where she came.

My rage had begun to get the best of me, until she said the word Horde. Somehow this phrase has meaning to me. As I ponder this conundrum, I wheel about and once again return to the wilds where I came, away from Starfall village.

"Calmfury!!" Sylios exclaims in frustration "civilization is here, where in Elune's name are you going you idiot!!!"