Tuesday, November 3, 2009

pt 17 Hamuul's fateful choice

The wind makes my eyes water. Tears roll down my cheeks and land on the tawny fur of the Wyvern I am riding.

For most of the afternoon I have been flying across the wild expanse of Kalimdor. I heard the news about Calmfury this morning and I set out for Moonglade to see for myself what has become. I cannot say I did not expect this to happen at some point, when someone lives on the blade of a knife he will be cut sooner or later. Of course that does not take out the pain that fate has brought to us. I say this because the truth of the matter is that Calmfury is like a son to me.

The wyvern I am riding gracefully swoops over the rugged, snow covered mountains and begins its descent into the immortal valley of Moonglade. There on the edge of a crystal clear lake lies the place where druids call their home. Or at the very least where the elders of the Cenarion Circle come to discuss the mysteries of our order.

My stomach rolls as we dive into the valley and fly like an arrow across the surface of the lake. Then all at once, like the well trained beast he is, my wyvern soars into the air again and lands gracefully at the roost on the cliffs above the lake.

"Elder Hamuul, welcome back to Moonglade. You are expected in the meeting hall of Nighthaven." the Tauren flightmaster named Bunthen Plainswind says to me as I hop off the back of the Wyvern.

"Thank you Bunthen" I say, as I hear the heralds horn echo across the valley, announcing the arrival of an elder.

I collect my travel bag and head out through the streets of the small village. The air is crisp and clean. Birds in multitudes fill the air above us, giving the impression that this place is at the center of a primordial garden free of disease and death. Though, today I know that this is not the case.

The twisting paths take me to the ancient hall of Nighthaven. It's simple but beautiful architecture stands as a monument to our order. As I enter I see a bed laid on the floor, on it the most pitiable sight I have had the misfortune to witness. Wrapped tightly in a burial shroud of linen lies the once powerful Calmfury. Even from here I can see he is barely breathing. The ever vigilant and loyal Charibdys stands at his side.

"Arch Druid Hamuul Runetotem, it is good to see you again." I look up and on a balcony above the floor stands Arch Druid Fandral Staghelm

Fandral is the most senior member of the Cenarion Circle, and certainly the oldest. He is a very ambitious and impatient Night elf. On his best days he is barely tolerable.

I bow in respect of him. "Master Fandral, it is a pleasure. What brings you out of Darnassus these days?"

He chuckles a bit and looks me up and down with contempt on his face. "You think that word has not reached my ears of your plans? This effort to exploit to Emerald Dream is over." he says with a flash of anger in his eyes.

"Arch Druid, the Emerald Dream is open to any druid of the order. Why should we cut off Calmfury from its mysteries?"

"Hamuul, you know that there have only been two creatures in all of the history of the order who have traversed the dream as you propose. One was the human mage, whom you all foolishly decided to help over my objections, and the other was Charlibeth with the blessings of the Green Dragonflight. It is well known that the mage had forbidden knowledge that helped him. How do you think that this tauren will be able to accomplish this task?"

I look down in sorrow as I feel the sting of grief in my heart.

"I don't expect him to cross, in his condition he is too weak to make the transition into the dream." I pause for a moment to collect my thoughts. "Master Fandral, Calmfury was like a son to me. I have come to witness his passage and see him laid to rest."

The night elf seems surprised at my response, and looks at me for a moment as if I am lying to him. Of course, it would be the height of audacity to openly suggest that I am. That is what I am counting on.

"Very well then Master Hamuul. I will leave you to your mourning. Though I will remind you, as is my duty, to not linger on death for too long. It is not our way" he says with a sneer.

I fake a smile as the Night Elf turns and leaves the sacred hall.

"Charibdys" I say "How is Calmfury?"

The beautiful tauren looks up at me with a stoic face of mourning. I already know the answer.

"Elder Hamuul!" in walks the revered Mylentha Riverbend. She is another elder in the Cenarion Circle and one of the finest healers I have ever met. "I am sorry to say that Calmfury will not last the night. His injuries are extensive, and he has lost the will to live. He is beyond my care Hamuul. I am sorry."

She lovingly cradles my chin in her hand, trying to console me.

"Elder Mylentha, I understand that Calmfury was brought here three days ago. Why wasn't I told sooner about him?"

Silence falls across the three of us. Charibdys and Mylentha look at one another as if some secret lies between them that they dare not tell.

Finally Charibdys speaks in a whisper. "Elder, Arch Druid Fandral was here when I brought Calmfury. He personally oversaw his care and forbid us to tell anyone what happened."

Anger rises inside of me, but I dare not show it.

"Elder Hamuul, you said to Fandral that Calmfury would not be strong enough to make the passage into the dream. Honestly, if he was to be induced into the dream he may yet live." Mylentha says inquisitively

I look at the venerable tauren for a moment. If I put him into the dream then what I told Fandral in honesty will be construed as a lie.

Off in the distance the heralds horn echos across the valley, once again announcing the arrival or the departure of an Elder.

Mylentha turns to tend Calmfury's death shroud. "Oh, it sounds like Fandral has returned to Darnassus." she pauses "Poor Calmfury, if you would have harvested your own crystals we may have been able to save you."

Trying hard not to smile I reach into my travel pack and pull out a small, battered leather bag filled with yellow crystals from the depths of Ungoro crater.

"Elder Mylentha, prepare the Ritual of Dreaming, I will gather a processional. Tonight we will march to the Storm Rage Barrow Dens."